Monday, March 30, 2009

There WAS peace in this house

It was a quiet week in the homestead. No arguments, no muffled remarks under breath, and no avoided conflicts. Just peace and harmony. The fifth roommate was gone for a full week! The entire Atlantic Ocean was between us and her. And then she came back. And so peace is no more.

I am by no means an Eco-terrorist, but I certainly try and conserve energy and recycle when possible. I don't mind being a little cold if that means the heat can be left off. The weather had warmed up in DC the last week so the heater hasn't been on in about a week. Well fifth roommate comes home and decides she's cold and turns the heat on. I try and reason with her - tell her to put on a sweater and her space heater, but apparently that's not good enough.

It's not the heat that has got me riled up. It's just her. Whenever one of us engages in a disagreement with #5, it always ends up in an argument. She automatically goes on the defensive as if by disagreeing with her is a personal attack against her. She can't compromise - it always has to go her way regardless of the fact that she's outnumbered.

And Lord Almighty she wants to be a lawyer. I sure hope she doesn't want to PRACTICE law because I really don't see a judge warming up to whatever whiny and defensive tactics she would most likely engage.

She actually asked if I wanted her to freeze. If it means her mouth would've been frozen shut as well, then yes! She really needs to move to a warmer climate if she can't handle this. I mean, I'm from Arizona and I managed just fine. Granted it snowed where I went to college. But still. We set the temperature for 50 when we were sleeping and I don't think the thermostat was ever set higher than 68. I think that's quite reasonable...

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Ohh I didn't know that our friend moved from CO to DC :-)

chelsea said...

Oh, you're funny!!!

Tyler Barton said...

Chelsea,

I am glad to see you up and running with a new post. As for your fifth roomate, who apparently from your description thinks she is first in your group of symbiants, sice she wishes to become a lawyer, she will probably end up working for the ACLU. I think they utilize similar arguments such as the "do you want me to freeze?" technique in their cases they defend or try. It looks like either you four will have to submit to her or else she shall have to find new lodgings with other people who are more willing to bow to her every demand. Of course, there is the remote possibility that she could change her ways...

Have fun!
-Tyler.

chelsea said...

Tyler -

I don't think she'll be working for the ACLU anytime soon. She works for AEI and is probably one of the more conservative in the house. Thankfully she's leaving for law school at the end of summer. Wait, did I say that out loud?