Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Told ya so, told ya so, told ya, told ya, told ya so!*

Eschenbach is the bald dude to Fleming's left. Photo courtesy of my good buddy Of the Kosmos.

I just knew it! As soon as I heard that Christoph Eschenbach was taking the helm of the National Symphony Orchestra, I just knew that we'd be getting more Renee Fleming here in the District.

I was right! Eschenbach opens his inaugural season with the NSO on September 25th with Renee Fleming at his side. He'll be leading her in Strauss' Four Last Songs as well as piano prodigy Lang Lang in Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 1.

I'm glad to be seeing the Diva on my home turf again. It'll also be great to revisit Fleming in the Four Last Songs. My first Renee Fleming concert was September 2007 in Denver, CO, and she sang the Four Last Songs. But I was too new (to opera and classical music) and too excited about the whole affair to really understand their awesomeness and how amazingly gifted an interpreter Fleming is in this particular song cycle.

Eschenbach and Fleming have a pretty deep history together. He conducted her on her first Four Last Songs recording as well as the Strauss Heroines album. I believe Eschenbach also conducted Fleming when she made her Houston Grand Opera debut as the Contessa in le Nozze di Figaro way back in 1988. So as soon as I heard that maestro was moving in at the Kennedy Center, I just knew he was going to be bringing my Diva of choice right along with him. And I couldn't be happier!

In the meantime, I've gathered a group of six to see Eschenbach work his magic on Verdi's Requiem on March 12th. Bring it, maestro! Bring it!

A quick note about the dress that Fleming is wearing in the picture above - that's the same dress she wore when I saw her in Denver. And now you know.

P.S. I had another genius moment like this back in the fall. WNO still had to cast a 2nd Amelia in Verdi's Un ballo, and returning from lunch one day, I turned to my intern buddy and said, "you know, Amelia is listed in Iréne Theorin's rep." And guess who is singing Amelia come September. Yeah, I called it.

*Will and Grace reference, anyone?

2 comments:

Leah said...

YAY YAY YAAAAY!! :D

Anonymous said...

¿Por qué hay ningunos nuevos postes recientes del blog?