Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lett's see DC: Monuments, Memorials, and Trollies, Oh My!

I brought my Mom back to DC with me after Christmas. We spent a few days gallivanting around the Nation's Capital before a quick trip to the Big Apple. I coaxed Mom into writing up her experience, and what you will get is a six(?) part mini-series of the Mother Fish Out of Water. And let me tell you what, she was out of water! At some point along the series, I'll add my own brief recap of the events - you know, two sides to every story. Part three of my Mom's four(?) part mini-series of her trip to Washington, DC and NYC continues with her an evening trolly tour around the District.

We were really looking forward to round three – the night time trolley tour of Washington. We headed for Union Station, where we would catch the trolley. It didn't take me long to realize that distances are subjective. A "short walk" to Chelsea now is a foray from her home to the Lincoln Memorial and back. For me, not so much. I guess if you don't measure the ground covered in blocks or miles but elapsed time, you can fool yourself into thinking you can reach the destination. So we're walking and I can feel the beginnings of a blister on my right heel. No big deal. I brought blister pads; I'd apply one when we got home.

We make it to Union Station and go in to the Old Town Trolley desk for our tickets. We have a few minutes before departure, so we wander through Union Station. It's such a beautiful building. The barrel ceiling is so cool. We boarded the trolley and guide "Grumpy" got us under way for a three hour tour. As you can tell, we did not get marooned like those people on the boat tour (Gilligan's Island in case the reference went over your head). It was a very good way to get an overview of the city, well worth the money.

I'm sure I will forget some of the things we saw but bear with me while I describe as much as I can. We drove by the Capitol Building – so, so beautiful all lit up – the Library of Congress, and The U.S. Supreme Court. We went past the FBI Building, The Old Post Office Tower (more about that later), The White House – the Christmas tree was from Arizona this year – The National Archives, National Museums of American History and Natural History, and National Aquarium (which is really just a couple of small fish tanks in the basement of the Department of Commerce building - super lame).

We were able to get off the bus at a few of the monuments/memorials. We had about 15 minutes to take in the Marine Corps a.k.a. Iwo Jima War Memorial. This was a little hard to see in the dark but still impressive. What a tremendous moment that must have been for those soldiers, raising the US flag. We were also able to explore the FDR Memorial. It's spread out over quite a large area. It's near the Tidal Basin which made our time there colder than ever. And since it was so cold, none of the water features were running. Very good depiction of events during President Roosevelt's terms in office. This particular memorial would be better seen in daylight and any time other than winter! We didn't stop at the Jefferson Memorial but it was so beautiful, right on the edge of the Tidal Basin and brightly lit. We got back on the bus and went past Arlington National Cemetery, The Kennedy Center, The Watergate and then to the west end of The National Mall.







Located here are several spectacular sites. We had about 20-25 minutes to make our way to as many as we could. First we walked by The Vietnam Veterans Memorial (The Wall). I've seen the traveling wall so I had an idea of what to expect. This also should be seen in daylight, but the impact is not diminished. We walked past the Vietnam Women's Memorial on our way to The Korean War Veterans Memorial. Next to Arlington National Cemetery, for me, this depiction had the biggest impact of all. Seeing this Memorial in the dark is a must. Statues representing soldiers toiling through rugged terrain is chilling – very powerful and unbelievably creepy. We then walked back to the Lincoln Memorial. We climbed the many steps to view Abraham Lincoln. This memorial is illuminated at night which makes Lincoln's face look very real. Pretty cool. Chelsea and I spent a few minutes looking at the two speeches carved on the walls. On the way back down the steps we had an amazing view of the reflecting pool and the Washington Monument at the far east end. Our time had expired so we headed back to the trolley. On the way back we drove past the National World War II Memorial, The Washington Monument, The White House, and the Botanic Gardens.

We made it back to Union Station, wishing Grumpy could drop us at our doorstep or at the very least the end of our street, but no such luck. He gave a very thorough and entertaining presentation. He couldn't pronounce Tecumseh, though. Chelsea and I headed for home, more slowly than she normally does, I'm sure. I'm doing my best to keep up. Many times Chelsea will call me when she is walking home from her Metro stop. Usually it's pretty late. On one hand, it seems like a very safe neighborhood, but on the other hand, I wonder if she should not talk on the phone and be more aware of her surroundings. Auntie J is saying "No! She should NOT talk on the phone!" Ignorance is bliss, yes? Anyway, we made it home. Chelsea reheated our uneaten dinner and we had some of Abigail's Apple Strudel – yummy – and some hot tea and off to bed. An early day was planned for tomorrow: museum day...
~ Susan
While I agree with Mom that the FDR memorial should be seen in the daylight and during a time of year when the water features are running, I would say that the Vietnam War memorial is better at night unless you're trying to locate a name. It's just really cool the way the Washington Monument reflects off the Wall.

6 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

BRAVA! I'm loving reading this and re-living my first trip to DC (although it was HOT and RAINY - I think the cold would be preferable). I'm very much looking forward to the next installment!

chelsea said...

I agree that cold is preferable to hot and rainy, but a lot of the water features aren't on during the winter which takes away some of the charm and majesty.

Now I just need to harass Mom for part four.

Abigail said...

Wooo hoo for the apple strudel shout-out! Can't wait for the next post!

Andrew Meeusen said...

Fantastic recap of the best of DC... the only thing you saw that I didn't see when I was there with Max was the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. We completely missed it when we were thinking about where to go!

Auntie J said...

And you are absolutely correct...DO NOT TALK ON THE PHONE.
You cannot tell me stuff that makes me crazed. Auntie J

kingrani said...


I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it..
Flipkart upcoming offers in 2018
Flipkart SBI Offers