Monday, February 15, 2010

Luck be a Lady Tonight

So I found $260 tonight. I know, right?!!

I was walking from the metro to my friend's house to walk the dogs one last time. If prior decisions had been different, I wouldn't have found it. For instance, Minerva was going to bring Chinese food over and we were going to play games with the roommates. But I decided last minute that we should just go out. Hints of cabin fever lingered and I needed to get off of the Hill. I also assumed that Dustin was going to be home from her trip around 7:00 so I wouldn't need to go back and walk the dogs. But she texted and said that her flight was leaving at 7:30 and that she would be back around 11:00. That meant that I would need to go back to feed and walk the dogs. If the dogs had been fed, I probably wouldn't have gone back. And to think, earlier at dinner I was bemoaning the fact that I would have to make another trek to walk the pooches.

When I came upon the pile of money just laying there, I called my mom for an integrity check. There wasn't anyone about so I couldn't run up to anyone and asked if they had dropped a sum of cash. There was a nearby restaurant, but not a person stirring. I suppose I could have gone into the restaurant and ask if anyone had dropped some cash.... Mom said I was good to go, "just make sure you pay some of it forward."

I think I can do that. Maybe a few meals here or there for someone(s) who looks needy/hungry. Use a little to take a day trip to New York to see Strauss's Ariadne auf Naxos this Saturday. Put the rest away to go towards rent.

So basically I'm just disecting the evening and the good fortune that I have been blessed with tonight. Not saying that I've had bad fortune in the past or recently, but maybe this is the momentum I need to carry over into other areas, like you know, the job hunt or something...

5 comments:

Max said...

So I was in DC last week and dropped $260, has anyone seen it?

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Wait a minute! Are you sure you didn't find that at TLC?

Abigail said...

Hi roommate! I just linked your blog to mine--I'm tiptoeing into the blogging world...eek!

Anonymous said...

Dad and I found 17 cents cleaning Grandma's house Friday. Not quite as exciting as your windfall!

chelsea said...

Talk about a fortune! Don't spend it all in one place, mom.