Monday, May 19, 2008

Back...?

So I stepped back from the blog for three weeks because life just got busy, and apparently I've left some of you wondering about the whole mouse situation. You're all asking, "is it back? Is it dead? Has Chelsea been eaten by a pack of mice?"

The answers to these questions are maybe, we thought so at one point, and not yet.

With the poison laid and the dryer sheets protecting my doorway, I finally slept peacefully in my own bed for the first time in two weeks. For all intent and purposes, I assumed the mouse dead. I showed a little too much glee when three of the roommates tore the felt off the bottom of the couch looking for what they thought was the body of the dead mouse. Alas, the mouse was not there. I went to bed thinking that the weird odor was of the rotting mouse body from behind the wall and I slept well knowing that.

Fast forward to this past Friday evening: It had been several weeks since I had seen or heard any trace of Peebs (my affectionate nickname for PB&J) so I decided that I could probably toss out the dryer sheets that were guarding my threshold. Big mistake. (PS Did I also mention that we had purchased these highly sensitive sonar nosemaker things that are suposed to drive mice away? Well we did, and one is in my room and the other in the kitchen.)

I don't know what I heard or what shadow I saw, but my imagination led me to believe that Peebs was back. So at 12:30am I'm wide awake and freaking out again. I cursed myself for throwing away the dryer sheets. I don't know if they really helped, but they were the crutch that helped me sleep peacefully at night thinking that the strong smell drove the mouse away, keeping it from crossing into my room. An hour and a half later, I turn the volume up on my copy of Fleming's Thais and drift asleep to the intoxicating melodies, hoping that a pack of mice don't come and take me away.

I could've sworn that I saw a little critter scurry into my room and back out again that night. The next day, I placed the dryer sheets back across my doorway. I've been sleeping peacefully since. So who knows if the mouse is dead. But there sure is a funky smell that could certainly be a dead mouse behind the walls rotting away. And only time will tell if I'll be carried away by a pack of mice demanding to be served peanut butter...

So there's the update on the mouse. The last three weeks of events will slowly trickle onto the blog. Stay tuned.

No comments: