Friday, July 17, 2009

Desperately hoping to experience the Divine

I have loved Bette Midler since I was a grade-schooler and saw her in Hocus Pocus. When her Diva Las Vegas concert aired on HBO back in the late 90's, I recorded it to a VHS tape and watched it over and over until I knew the entire two hours by heart. I would wait until everyone in the household was gone, turn up the volume on the television, and sing along with Bette as loud as I could. Her touring schedule has previously evaded me, and even now that she's performing in Vegas just 90 miles away from where I grew up, I am living across the country. But mark my words, I will see her in concert before she is no longer performing. Because I will be devastated if I miss the opportunity to experience the Divine Miss M live.

One of my favorite songs is Bette singing "Stay With Me" from her Diva Las Vegas Concert. It is such an emotionally intense rendition. She lays it all out on the table. THAT is what I'm dying to witness in person - her electric stage presence, her absolute ferocity, and her ability to pull the audience in and give them more than what they were ever hoping to receive. She is a true entertainer in every sense of the word.




See my description of "Stay With Me" - it pretty much applies to Bette singing "When a Man Loves a Woman" from her Kiss my Brass tour.



She can go from bawdy to sultry in 10 seconds flat.



And it isn't a Bette Midler show without the crude Sophie Tucker jokes (not suitable for children or those who blush easily).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I love Bette Midler, too!!!

I watched Beaches and First Wives Club so many times when I was kid, my parents would mute the TV and I could say all the parts when I was 4.

Bette Midler is a God. Have you seen the Inside The Actors Studio with her? It's on youtube if you haven't, I recommend checking it out!