Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Day the Music Died


My bible study has decided to participate in a church-wide fast that lasts from this evening until church service tomorrow. The gals in my group decided to give up food, which would be totally doable. They'll eat dinner on Saturday, give up breakfast and lunch on Sunday and break the fast at 6:00pm at dinner.

I decided to go a different route, mostly because I had scheduled a brunch with a friend weeks ago. So instead of parting with my planned crepe and peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I will be fasting the Tunes starting at noon on Saturday until 6:00pm Sunday. No music. Period. No opera, country or anything in between via the Zune. No Saturday matinee broadcast from the Met. No Youtube or opera dvd's. Just silence. Unrhythmic, deafening silence. "No big deal," is what you're thinking. Oh, but how wrong you are! I have music playing ALL THE TIME. I sleep with it on (this started when we had mouse issues), I listen while I'm drying my hair, eating, surfing the web, talking on the phone. If I'm home, the music is on. But now it's not. And it's freakishly quiet in here.

I took a walk to the Lincoln memorial today minus the music. I could hear a lot of clatter and chatter, but mostly the squeak squeak of my orthotics with E.V.E.R.Y. S.I.N.G.L.E. S.T.E.P. I. T.O.O.K. Even though my own walking was annoying myself, it's pretty funny to listen in on what others around you are saying. Especially in and around the Mall area where tourists abound. They say the darndest things!

This time of fasting is meant for reflection and conversing with the Almighty. But I find myself singing a lot of Dwight Yokam and Celine Dion to myself instead. Random selection, I know. We'll see how the night goes when it's REALLY quiet. Torture, I tell you. You don't know how bad I want to push play on my Zune right now. I miss Renee...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's how it is for me on the back of the motorcycle~just me and random thoughts, a variety of songs i sing to myself, and lists, lists, lists.

chelsea said...

You should read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." It's a bear to get through, but the guy has random thoughts on the bike too.