Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lett's see DC - Leaving on a Jet Plane

I brought my Mom back to DC with me after Christmas. We spent a few days gallivanting around the Nation's Capital before a quick trip to the Big Apple. I coaxed Mom into writing up her experience, and what you will get is a three(?) part mini-series of the Mother Fish Out of Water. And let me tell you what, she was out of water! At some point along the series, I'll add my own brief recap of the events - you know, two sides to every story. I now present my first guest blogger, my Mom in part one of her series.

I promised I would report on my whirlwind trip to DC and New York City. Now a month later, it's obvious the gene for procrastination is not recessive in my family. Chelsea's Christmas gift to me was to join her at the opera der Rosenkavelier in New York City on New Year's Day. John graciously agreed to stay home (self-preservation?). It would be our first New Year apart in 33 years.

So, to packing....My desert (read casual and not warm) apparel would have to suffice for the cold weather and opera. I managed to squeeze five days worth of garments and shoes into a small carry-on and backpack. John drove us to Las Vegas very early Tuesday morning. I was a little nervous. I hadn't flown since 1984. Chelsea is a seasoned traveler, so that helped put me at ease. We said our goodbyes at the curb, checked in, breezed through security, and headed for the gate. With about an hour before our flight, we had plenty of time to people-watch. We boarded the plane on time, stowed our bags and settled in. As soon as we were aloft, Chelsea dozed but I was "too excited to sleep!"

The flight leaving Las Vegas heads out over the Grand Canyon. What a great perspective-it was…so cool to see the snow dusting the red landscape. I watched our progress eastward until we rose above the clouds. Near the Mississippi, land was once again visible, so I tried to determine our location all the way to Charlotte where we had a short layover. We wolfed down a sandwich before being called to board our flight to DC. My wariness returned when a dark complexioned man with a mustache took the seat next to Chelsea. He kept getting up to talk to the attendant – about what, I don't know. Five or six times he got up then sat back down... On top of that, across the aisle and up a row or two, is a large bearded man with turban-like head gear. No one else appeared distressed or even interested. So up, up and away we went.

I'm so glad it was evening when we flew into Ronald Reagan airport. The skyline was so beautiful. Visible on approach and brightly lit – the Washington Monument, the Capitol building, the White House – Wow! We bundled up and grabbing backpacks and luggage, headed for the Metro which would put us within walking distance of our final destination. This was becoming a very long day. We exited the train at our stop. Chelsea said she needed to pick up milk. "Safeway is in the opposite direction we'll be walking, so you can wait here while I run up there. Will you be okay to wait here?" How sweet, she's worried about me. "Sure, I'll be fine," I say. She LEFT me there, in the subway station, tending the luggage! She returned about 20 minutes later and really, I was fine. We gathered our luggage, backpacks and groceries and headed to the escalator. We at last would begin the final trek to the Harry Potter house.

OH MY GOSH!!! COLLLLLDDDD!!!! The remnants of the massive snow storm ten days ago have been piled along the road sides and the cold definitely remained. To our left, the Capitol Building, all lit up. Beautiful! We headed up the street away from the Capitol, past the Supreme Court Building, and The Library of Congress. Unbelievable – Chelsea Lives Here!!! Then we walked through her neighborhood and arrived, at last HOME! We unwound and hit the sack. Our plan was to tackle major sight-seeing for the next two days.

~ Susan

5 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Loving this! Brava! Hurry with Part 2!

Abigail said...

Yay for Mama Fish Out of Water--can't wait for part 2!

karigee said...

"Unbelievable – Chelsea Lives Here!!!"
I love that you're famous to your own mother :)

Anonymous said...

Now I am seeing where Chelsea gets her journaling skill, who knew?? You are the lady who like OUR mom says ok bye, ok bye, ok bye on phone calls. Waiting for part 2 with bated breath, your sis--j

Laura said...

Looking forward to hearing the next installment! We were glad to have you!