Friday, January 8, 2010

I PR things...Ariadne, Seville, WAGNER!

This past fall I got to PR things. I didn't get to PR Lulu, but I did get to PR opera for Washington National Opera. It was an unpaid internship and perhaps I'm on the cusp of being too old for an unpaid internship, but it was something I wanted to do and could afford to do.

Maybe it was the fact that I didn't have to be there that made me want to be there, but I thoroughly enjoyed going to the Watergate office everyday. It was a challenging, engaging and rewarding experience that has left me with so many wonderful memories. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'd count myself lucky/fortunate for having prior work experience, which allowed my supervisor to give me some kind of big deal tasks. I staffed a reporter at one of our operas, was one of the point persons for press at Opera in the Outfield, coordinated interviews between artists and reporters, pitched the hell out of our Costume Sale and staffed press at the sale, and talked to grade-schoolers about PR and opera. I also had to guard the Diva Rack with my life at the Costume Sale. Let me just say that probably aged me ten years. All those crazy patrons clamoring over Anna Netrebko's Susannah frock from Nozze....

Yes, I loved this internship because I got to PR opera. But I loved it because for four months I felt like I was part of a team again. WNO has a great internship program and the staff (from my experience) treats them as one of their own. The interns really do play an integral role in the company and I believe that the employees recognize that.

Sure there were a lot of perks that came with the internship - free tickets to dress rehearsals and performances - but the coolest perk for me was learning and seeing how an opera company operates and functions. From top to bottom, inside out, organizational to artistic and everything in between. I used to sit in the opera house thinking "Wow! It must take so much hard work to put on an opera." It does, but back then I was thinking in macro terms and only on the artistic level, which don't get me wrong is truly important - all the rehearsals, learning the music, building sets, lighting etc. - but there's more. So much more. Seasons are generally planned far in advance. And there's the money issue. Who's going to pay for it all? How do you inform and excite your audience? There are so many details and departments involved in keeping an opera company successful and thriving. The interns had an opportunity to meet with most of the department heads - Finance, Artistic, PR, Development and Special Events, Tech, Costumes, Production - and get a peek into their world and their role in the company. It was so cool to see how each department is a piece coming together to make the WNO puzzle complete. Without one, the company could not succeed. I appreciate opera so much more now knowing how much work goes on - on stage and off.

Perhaps there is a chance to continue on with WNO, or perhaps not. Regardless, for four months I got to do something that I truly wanted to do and truly enjoyed for a company that I regard highly. For those four months, I had my dream job.

3 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

You are the PR Person of the Year!

chelsea said...

Will you be my guest of honor at the PR PR Person of the Lunch Month club?

Sarah B. Roberts said...

I'll bring Lulu.