Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-cherry Blossoms everywhere

Spring in DC means Cherry Blossoms. Cherry Blossoms in DC means tons of festivities. Tons of festivities in DC means unfathomable amounts of tourists.


Two Saturdays ago, Mel and I battled the crowds and headed to the National Mall for the first weekend of Cherry Blossom Festivities: Kite Flying on the National Mall. We were just going to walk around for a few minutes because she had a massage appointment to get to and I had lunch plans with Julie. There were so many kites; it was awesome!!! I did a sudden flash to Mary Poppin's "Let's Go Fly a Kite." I was instantly a 7-year old child again.

We walked around for several minutes gazing at all the super cool kites in the air, on the ground, and in between. We walked past a group of ladies with some pretty hi-tech kites. None of them were in the air. As we walked past, they asked if we could take a picture of them. I of course said yes. As I handed the camera back, one of the ladies asked if I wanted to fly the kite. Ummmm, YEAH!!!! So I grabbed the reigns and put forth my most valiant effort t otry and get that kite in the air. I was succeeded for about 2 minutes. But it wasn't for a lack of trying.

I headed to Dupont to have lunch with Julie. I went to college with her and she's such a fun person to hang out with. It's a shame we go weeks between visits and we probably only live a few miles from each other. She'll be starting a new job with the Capitals (hockey team) in May. That should be good times for her.

Melanie and I headed back to the mall to check out the Cherry Blossoms. They're pretty awesome. I'm probably not as amazed by them as other people, but they are pretty cool to see juxtaposed against all the monuments. We walked all the way to the Jefferson memorial on the other side of the Tidal Basin to get a different view. Oh, and what a view!!!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Your pictures are gorgeous!

Ok...so I've lived 45 min. outside DC my whole life and still haven't gone to see the Cherry Blossoms!!! Crazy, huh?!? Are they still in bloom?