Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Questionable Weekend


After the emotional high of the opera, I planned to spend the rest of my weekend hanging out and relaxing with Sam. The summer of ’06 was the last time we wreaked havoc on a town together, so we had a lot of catching up to do.

Sam has been bitten by the bird-watching bug, and while we were waiting for our train, she was telling me about the cool birds that she’s seen in her area. She asked if I had ever seen an eagle, and when I said no, she decided to take me to see one. So her dad, Frank, and sister, Emma, came along with us. We saw two on an island across the marina. There were also a bunch of seagulls and some geese swimming in the icy waters. One goose was missing his right wing. I don’t think it flies very much these days.

After our bird watching expedition, we went to a pub for some lunch. Our plans for the evening were to hang out with Sam’s brother, Eric, and his friend Tom, and some other friends at a local margarita joint. Eric and Tom are two funny dudes, and when you put them together, your stomach muscles get the optimal work out from laughing so much. Such was the case that Saturday evening. There’s no way I’d even be able to recreate the hilarity of the evening. The comments were so random and off the cuff. Poop jokes are not uncommon from Eric and Tom. We reminisced about the summer of ’06 when they were all in Arizona. Tom mentioned a questionable wipe (I’ll let you make the connection.) Then I said, “You had me at questionable.” Obviously, it’s one of those ‘you had to be there’ moments, but we were all laughing. The weekend was thence referred to as the Questionable Weekend. After one too many margaritas and a whole lotta laughs, we headed home and crashed.

The next morning I woke up and went to church with Daryl and Emma. Sam had just woken up when we were about to leave, so she stayed behind. Church was a very moving experience, and Daryl and I bonded over the amazing recovery Sam has made. We all had a little lunch, played a little Cranium, and just had an all-around good ol time.

My train was scheduled to leave New Haven at 7, but it was on a 2 ½ hour delay, so I didn’t make it home until about 3:15 am. It was a perfect opportunity to reflect on how awesome the weekend actually was. It’s a week later that I’m writing this, and I still can’t believe that I saw Renee Fleming perform and met her backstage. I find that I’m trying to remember everything and how it unfolded in order to convince myself that it did actually happen. Maybe when I get the picture from Sam, it will sink in a little more.
Hanging out with Sam made me realize how great a friend she is and how much fun we always have. Since I’m on this side of the country, I’m hoping we’ll get to kick it together a lot more frequently. Definitely a weekend for the books!

No comments: