Friday, February 29, 2008

The Fantastic Life of an Opera Fan


Sometimes I don’t know how I get to do the things I do. But I do things, and I’m amazed at what I do get to do. On occasion, it just takes asking a question and a door opens so something cool happens. That’s how this story begins.

I read a blog. I asked the author a question. She answered with “it’s kind of short notice, but let me check.” A couple hours later, she responded back, “I’m your new best friend.” Truer words were never spoken. That simple.

Brace yourselves for this because it is super awesome. I saw Renee Fleming in Otello, and she was remarkable. She totally rocked the role of Desdemona, and I was there to hear it live. That alone is pretty cool and I would have been 100% content if the evening ended there, but it didn’t. After the famed golden curtain fell, and the last shouts of “Bravo! Brava!” and the applause faded away, Sam and I made our way to a corridor.

There stood a man with a piece of paper in his hands. On that paper was Sam’s name and my name. We were on THE list. So, said man with said paper asks who we’re here to see. “Renee Fleming.” “And your names?” “Chelsea and Sam.” “Okay, head on back around the corner. Another guy will ask you the same and direct you where to go.”

This is the part where I start to freak out. My name is actually on the list. And I’m on my way to see Renee Fleming. NO WAY! This is a prank. Somebody is toying with my emotions. So the second guy is up. He asks the same questions. I gave the same answers. This man says, “Go through that door and wait against the white wall to the left. Someone will come to direct you to the room.” We walk away, and the nerves kick in, and I medium freak out again. Not like freak out freak out, but oh-my-gosh-I-can’t-believe-this-is-happening freak out.

Someone shows us to a green room that was quite cozy with two couches, an oversized chair and an upright piano. Sam and I were scrunched in the corner. There were probably about 15-20 people in this small room. Sam and I chatted for a couple minutes, which really consisted of me saying, “I can’t believe this is happening,” and “She is my absolute favorite!”

Then, Renee appeared. Right in front of my face. Well, not right in front of my face. She came in the room from the door on the opposite side. I seriously almost started to cry when I saw her twenty feet in front of me. She made her way through the small crowd, stopping and talking with each individual, giving them her undivided attention as each one commented on her excellent performance. Being the nosy Nellie that I am, I of course listened in on the conversations. Some talked about the interview she conducted with fellow soprano Karita Mattila at last weeks HD transmission of Manon Lescaut. Renee said she was so surprised when Mattila did the splits on a whim. Some talked about her daughter, who sang in the children’s choir and made a cameo in Otello. One woman commented on the long, blonde wig she wore for the roll.

Finally, it was my turn to meet this unpretentious diva. What do I say? How do I say it without sounding like a psycho stalker? I think my brain just shut down and my mouth started talking. I introduced myself, said I was a huge fan, and that this was my first opera, then I asked if I could give her a hug. (I think I heard some old lady say, “Oh, how sweet.”) How much of a nerd am I?! So she gave me a hug and asked if I was an opera singer too. I sort of chuckled and said, “No, I’m actually in politics in DC.” To which she replied, “Well it’s certainly an exciting time to be in politics.” She asked Sam and me what we thought of the opera. We said it was amazing. Then Sam said I came all the way from DC to see her. This is where I had my stalker moment. I told her that when she comes to DC in November, I’m going to see her. [Really Chelsea? She probably doesn’t even know where she’s going to be performing next week and you’re reciting her concert schedule for the next five years. Way to not look like a loon!]

Anywho, Renee graciously signed our playbills and I was fortunate enough to get a picture with her. Then I gave her another hug, because I can, and Sam and I grabbed our coats, and left. I pretty much was on an opera high the rest of the night. I seriously could have died right then and there and would have been okay with that. Let me put this another way: I was more excited to meet Renee Fleming than I was to meet the President, which says a lot.

We walked (I skipped) to the nearest bar to get a drink and calm me down. When we got there, Sam realized she left her camera on the pay phone when she was putting her coat on. So we tried to pound our frozen margs and you all know what that means – brain freeze – and tried to navigate the maze of construction to find the stage door leading back to the pay phone. Thank God we found the camera. Otherwise my meeting with Renee would only be a mental picture.

Sam and I headed back to the Penn Station area to grab food/drinks to pass the time before our 1:50 am train back to New Haven. All-in-all, an evening not soon to be out done.

If it seems my affinity for Renee Fleming is excessive to a fault, it’s because there truly are not enough words to describe what is experienced when hearing her perform live. And the crazy thing is opera is performed without amplification (no mics). It takes a lot of power and a lot of hard work to get a voice to carry in a 4,000-seat house and still sound good. I only hope that I can intrigue you all enough to want to pick up one of Renee’s recordings and give it a listen. You’ll truly be blown away.

Thanks to my "new best friend" for adding to an already amazing evening and giving me an opportunity of a lifetime – a favor not soon forgotten. Thanks to Sam for sharing in my joy and adding to the awesomeness of the night. Thanks to Renee for pretty much being Ah-MAZING and not freaking out when I freaked out because I was meeting you. Thanks to the cab guy who got us there on time.

2 comments:

Andrew Meeusen said...

Wow Chelsea! That sounds like quite the vacation there. I'm glad you got to meet Renee Fleming - I heard her sing for the first time (admittedly, on YouTube), but she certainly does have a beautiful voice!

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Brava brava brava brava! I am so thrilled for you. (And La Diva Renee is more exciting than our president.)