Thursday, April 16, 2009

In Under the Wire

Nothing like the government breathing down your neck to really motivate you. In at 10:20 and out at 12:56, I officially became one of THOSE people. I'd like to say never again, but why make a promise I probably can't keep?


I'm sure you can put two and two together. If not, then you must not know what day it is.

I still haven't decided what's a more hostile line to be in - the post office at 10:00pm on April 15th with people begrudgingly handing money over to the IRS, or opera fanatics waiting 5 hours for $20 orchestra tickets (reg price $80-300) for a sold out Renee Fleming performance. I suppose I'm beginning to make standing in line into an art form. This experience doesn't rank very high on the list. A smelly post office and the man behind me constantly encroaching on my space made for a less than enjoyable experience. Plus my departing gift was only a receipt and not a ticket stub to a game or concert. Oh well, score one for the IRS.

Picture above - the crowd at 11:55 at the Massachussetts Ave Post Office. Picture above right - a line of postal trucks waiting to take the last minute tax forms to their final destination.

4 comments:

Tyler Barton said...

Chelsea,

Did that receipt show you exactly where every copper penny of your "contribution to the public welfare" was pre-spent? I imagine that if it had, over three-quarters of it would have read something like $(blank amount): finacial bailout.

Perhaps next year the government will incorporate the Fair Tax, and income taxes will be abolished, but do not place a wager on that.

Over two hours in the tax line? If opera performance lines are anything close to that, remind me to order my tickets in advance!
-Tyler.

chelsea said...

Tyler, I've spent five hours in line for $20 rush tickets at the Met. Twice.

Megan said...

Just out of curiosity... Why don't you just file online? No line-standing needed. The only (very minor) downside is that when it's finished, you kick yourself because it was so quick and easy, you wonder why on earth you didn't do it earlier and then you would have your money by now! (Or maybe that's just my thought process...)

chelsea said...

I e-filed for federal and AZ, but DC doesn't let you e-file. I was so pissed b/c I stood in line for two hrs for a form documenting my moving expenses to DC. Believe me, I'm all over that e-filing business!