Thursday, April 16, 2009

Root, Root, Root for the Home Team!

Let's start with this:


My first game of the season was a good one! Minerva and I missed all the beginning stuff - the National Anthem, the throwing of the pitch, and the first three runs scored by the Nats. When we got to our seats (directly behind the left field foul pole) I figured the Phillies would catch up pretty fast. I mean, they did win the World Series after all.

Despite the cheering of their fans, the Phillies were never able to muster up enough awesomeness to catch the Nats. They got real close before the Presidents Race in the 5th inning, but weren't able to take that momentum into a lead. The score at this point is 3-2.

Quick sidebar to discuss the Presidents Race. Teddy NEVER wins! NEVER!!! Tonight wasn't any different. Abe was declared the winner, but after reviewing tapes of the race, Thomas was declared the winner by a nose. He tripped (or did Abe trip him???) and his nose hit the tape before Abe crossed the line.

Back to the game. In the 7th and 8th innings, the Nats really hit their stride. Many of the players were making good contact with bat and ball, and we got a couple of homers out of the deal. Screech came up to our section to hang for a bit. It was good times!


Although, I would like to say that I'm a little disappointed that my man Lastings Milledge has betrayed me. I was a big supporter of him as #44, but he's scrapped that now and sporting #85. Alright then, I'm buying Christian Guzman's jersey Lastings. What do you think of that?! Actually, I'll probably get a Milledge jersey too. It's just such a cool name and he's one of the Nats better (in my opinion) players.

Can't wait for more games!

1 comment:

Tyler Barton said...

Chelsea, I am glad to see that you are, in addition to our common interest of opera (and may I say politics?), a fan of baseball, America's favorite sport. I am so very glad that the Tampa Bay Rays did not win the Series last year since they beat my beloved Yankees out of the race, but I think they were a good team coming up from so low in the standings from the previous season.

As for your team, the Nationals, I do not hear very much about them since I am rather remotely located from them and since my state does not have an MLB team, so you shall have to keep me informed as to whether or not Washington, D.C., is rearing a dynasty team. I thought it bode well for Los Angeles last year when Joe Torre was named manager and he put his team into the playoffs his first season with them while his former team (I know who they are; please do not say it!) did not even make it there.
-Tyler.