Thursday, April 2, 2009

On second thought...

So I had a chat with Better Judgement yesterday and Reasoning eventually joined in on the conversation. I drafted an email probably in the heat of the moment, but Better Judgement told me to sit on it. After sharing my thoughts in bible study and a good nights rest I decided not to send this email:

It's unfortunate that you've been cold all winter long - I suppose some people are just predispositioned to be colder than others...

I'm not going to throw around trite apologies that I don't mean, but I will say that I did not intend for my stance to come off as "take it or leave it" as you put it. I mentioned in my previous email that I'm willing to compromise, and I think I've excercised that by running the heat on Monday until I went to bed, and again last night (Tuesday) when it ran until I turned it off before bed. I also said that if there's a concensus, I'll romp around in shorts and lighter t-shirts so that I will be comfortable if the heat must continue to run. I'm a little disappointed that you are not also making a concerted effort to compromise just because you assume that I've presented a "take it or leave it" stance. Again, and in case you missed it the first time, I'M WILLING TO COMPROMISE.

"The change" was implemented when you were gone, yes. But that's also b/c there was a change in the weather - kind of makes sense in my rationale. Unfortunately, you happened to have been away, but you're here now, so let's be open to discussion instead of cutting it off just b/c you were not present when we started leaving the heat off. And for the record, I don't think it was really a "decision" rather than just a natural reaction to the closer balance of inside/outside temps.

Run the numbers if you want. That's not that big of a deal to me. The deal is that the heater isn't necessary (from my stance) anymore.

Let's not get deffensive. Let's not be irrational. Let's be open to compromise. Again, I'm pretty go w/ the flow, but I can't be expected to compromise if you're unrelenting in your stance.


Better Judgement told me not to send that email. Instead, I took the high road and sent this one:

I just want to make sure that you understand that a "change" was not purposely implemented when you were gone or that it was a decision made behind your back. Rather it was more a natural reaction over the past couple of weeks to the closer balance of the inside/outside temps and the heat not being necessary to those of us who were here.

That being said, with time to consider the situation I have realized that I was a bit insensitive to your needs and desire to feel comfortable in the house. For that, I offer a sincere apology. In our discussion on Monday evening and subsequent emails, I had not meant to present a "take it or leave it" stance - that was never my intentions. I truly am willing to compromise on this issue. Shoot, if you're cold, run the heat for a bit in the evening. Let it take the chill out of the air. Our windows aren't positioned the best to catch the sun's warming rays, so yeah, it can be a little cool in here.

I don't want to write this email out like I'm giving you permission to run the heat - that's not the tone I intend. I'm just stating that I've realized that we all do have a right to feel comfortable in the house, and if you're cold and need to run the heat in order to reach a level of comfort, I won't let that bother me.

So again, I truly am sorry for not taking into account your need to feel comfortable in this house. I offer the peace pipe. :)


I'm also including a response my aunt sent me on my previous post. She sure has a way of getting to the humor in stuff:

Here we are in utah. our heat was at 68. never more all winter and now that the day temp is 60 it is off totally. As when you grew up the living room has blankies available for me or kids. I agree with you there. Also point in fact, an overly warm house is not healthy. On the other hand if you go visit your cuz Chris, you will encounter the heat on still at probably 80 plus, He is a little snake. That being said, this seems to be getting a little out of control, the old question is will all this matter in 5 years. Maybe in the ozone, but not in you life or #5 or #2 probably. Maybe a better argument is Who ate the last of the chocolate!?!?! I know you can be the better non argumentative person and start wearing your shorts and tanktop. Then you and Better Judgement can sit down to tea with The Better Person and Good Behavior. Love ya lots, Auntie


Now that this situation is hopefully all taken care of, Better Judgement, Reasoning, Better Person, Good Behavior and I are going to sit down to that chocolate. And I will have the last piece.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I like the first email better. So does Alyssa