Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ummmm, WOW!

Yesterday...wow! what a day!

It's really amazing when you realize that Capitol Hill is run by a bunch of twenty-somethings. I've been to several staff/caucus meetings and briefings, and for the most part, the room is full of people my own age. Obviously the higher posts such as Chief of Staff and Leg Director are reserved for the more experienced (ie older), but for the most part, it's a bunch of post graduates who are running this town. And I can't believe that I'm a part of it.

This is my job: I'm supposed to sit in on various meetings. This week, the focus is education. I relay that info to the Congressman. He takes action or doesn't, and through some long, dragged out process, something comes of these meetings, whether it's funding, legislation, etc. I was in a meeting yesterday with a group from a community college. Aside from the three students they brought along for testimony, I was the youngest one. That is still just something that amazes me - the power that I hold in my hand by being the liaison between these people and the Congressman. Pretty rad if you stop and think about it.

The other cool thing about that particular meeting was (and this is going to sound so dumb at first) the hope that I brought to those college kids. I always try and mention that I'm actually from the Congressman's district because people really appreciate that I'm from Arizona and I've lived there. I mentioned that I was a recent NAU grad and two of the girls just lit up. One said, "Wow, that is so cool! How did you get this job?" I'm sitting there thinking, "Me? Cool? Sister, I'm just as amazed as you are!" It was pretty neat, though.

After work, I met up with my friend. One of his buddies works for a cancer research group that raises funds in order to provide children with cancer a more positive environment in which they receive treatment so they're not so depressed. It's called Tracy's kids and I think the website is Tracyskids.org. Anyways, we mingled and had some food and drinks. They were free, which is the best kind when you're a starving Hill staffer.

The event started with a little ceremony type deal. Here's where it gets cool. So the foundation gives an award to a person who can help bring awareness to the cause. The previous year's recipient anounces this year's recipient. Last year, the recipient was Mrs. Leahy, wife of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT). Even better, we were standing at the front of the room because there was an open table. He walked up and stood right next to us. And made small chat with us as his wife spoke. He was sharing with us the results of the primaries from that day, talking about his wife's battle with cancer, showing us pictures of his grandkids, and just making small asides.

This year's recipient was Sen. Tim Johnson (D-SD) and his wife. Sen. Johnson is recovering from a stroke so his speech was a tiny bit slurred, but what really touched me was the way his wife looked at him with admiration and pride. You could see the tears beginning to well up in her eyes. It was a very touching moment.

After the ceremony portion, as part of the event, we were permitted to select a movie to view, and we chose Charlie Wilson's War, which was fantastic. Sen. Leahy saw that movie as well. Before we went in, he was telling us about Charlie Wilson, because he had served in congress with him back in the day. He said that Cong. Wilson would have all these books in his hand and a group of young, attractive women staffers at his sides. There was more to his story, but I can't do it justice, so watch the movie and I'll leave it at that. Very true according to the movie. Anywho, it was cool to get that recollection from the senator.

The tempatures dropped drastically here and it began to rain yesterday. It was quite the adventure walking home. I almost died like 10 times (not really but I tend to exagerate sometimes). I did see some guy totally munch it, though. And I did fall coming home from the benefit. It was total Home Alone style, feet up in the air, hands flailing. Luckily it was late and no one was around to witness my very humbling fall.

As far as the office, it's been a rough week. The Congressman's father passed away on Sunday, so he's been preoccupied with that, and just today, our Leg. Director was notified that his mother passed away. What's really sad about the situation is he's getting married in May and now his mom won't be there for that. Aside from those unfortunate events, everything is just awesome! I can't wait for it to start warming up a bit so I can comfortably start exploring more of what this place has to offer.

More to come for sure...

No comments: